An archipelago of 26 major atolls and coral reef islands, what Maldives lack in terms of land mass, it more than makes up for in sheer territory size. Since most of the islands are, in actual fact, the tops of a vast underwater mountain range, it comes as no surprise that the Maldives is home to a huge array of spectacular marine life, ranging from the small humble critters living in corals to the giant majestic whale shark.
Myriad passages and channels between the atolls allow currents to sweep nutrients throughout the island chain, accounting for the extensive numbers of fish and various other marine life who come to feed. Napoleon wrasse, snappers, tuna, barracudas, sponges, gorgonian fans, cleaning stations complete with cleaning wrasses and shrimps, manta rays, eagle rays, whale sharks, hammerhead sharks and even dolphins are only a taste of the marine life one will encounter while diving in the Maldives. So what are you waiting for?
Best Time to Dive
- The best time to visit the Maldives is May to November. Although you’ll experience some rain during the southwestern monsoon that occurs at this time, you’ll have the least company and best prices at the resorts. Plus, surfers will catch the best waves, and divers will see the most life on the reefs. December to April is the high season, which encounters the drier northeast monsoon.
FACTS ABOUT MALDIVES
• Valid passport and Visa (if applicable)
• Cash in Singapore or local currency (Maldivian Rufiyaa MVR)
• Personal Medication
• Travel Insurance (recommended)
• Able to snorkel/swim in the sea
• Minimum of Open Water Diver Certification or equivalent (for leisure diver)
Fly from Singapore to Male International Airport, Maldives. (approximately 4.5 hours) Coach/mini-bus transfer from Male Airport to Handy Cruise.
2 way land transfer between Male International Airport and Handy Cruise
7N full board accommodation at Handy Cruise
Up to 17 guided boat dives
Air tanks and weights provided
Air fare between Singapore and Maldives
Currency accepted: Maldivian Rufiyaa (MVR)
Electricity Supply: 230V 50Hz, 3 pin straight plug
Time difference: Maldives time (GMT +5) is 3 hours behind Singapore time.
Immigration: All countries require a visa for entry
Proposed flight (from Singapore):
Direct flight from Singapore to Maldives via Singapore Airlines
Singapore (SIN) Male (MLE) SQ452 Changi Airport Male International Airport Economy
Depart: 2045hrs (Singapore time)
Arrive: 2210hrs (Maldives time)
Male (MLE) Singapore (SIN) SQ451 Male International Airport Changi Airport Economy
Depart: 2325hrs (Maldives time)
Arrive: 0710hrs (Singapore time)